Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bad Spells and Broken Dreams


It's been a long time since I posted, but I just crawled out from under my rock. To think of the time and energy I expended last fall working to get the health care reform bill passed—all wasted. I still haven't recovered from the betrayal of the Democratic party when it stooped to the worst political pandering I have personally witnessed, producing a watered down version of a bill that is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Between the health care mess, the continuous assaults and lack of meaningful action on endangered species, environmental concerns, climate change, the economic situation, which is not getting better for anyone I know, and the circus that is New York State and City politics, I would love to vote every single Democratic Senator and Representative out (take note Mr. Schumer, Ms. Gillebrand and Mr. Ackerman) if the Republican contenders didn't scare me as much as the kook, Carl Paladino, who just won the Republican nomination for Governor. He attacked a New York Post editor who asked him a perfectly reasonable question about the alleged out of wedlock daughter he fathered, at the same time as Mr. Paladino was slamming his opponent, Democrat Andrew Cuomo, for having extramarital affairs.

David Patterson, our current governor, has had his own affairs, interfered with the handling of a domestic violence incident perpetrated by one of his staffers, and even joked about his fall from the throne on Saturday Night Live. Two of the state senators responsible for the grid locked session last year (both from the Bronx) have been found guilty: one for misappropriation of funds and the other for domestic violence. And both were drop kicked by voters when they tried to get back into office by running in the primary for another post.

So both sides have a lot to be proud of, including Sarah Palin, “mama kill those grizzlies,” whose daughter is now on Dancing with the Stars while Bristol Palin's erstwhile "baby daddy" struts his stuff in a different venue.

They're all a bunch of clowns, and even my conservative Republican cousin and I agree they all need to go. I have now added every mailing list from the Democratic National Committee and Organizing for Change to my block list as spam. The only thing political I read are updates from Creedo, an organization whose sense and sensibility reflect not only honesty, and integrity, but sanity when it comes to the major issues we're facing: I strongly suggest if you care, subscribe. They do not abuse subscribers by sending fluffy thank you notes from the President which end with a button to donate more money.

I'm going back under my rock for now, spending time at my day job taking care of children and families in the Bronx who desperately need health and educational services being slashed and hacked by budget cuts, while the City prepares to spend millions replacing all the street signs to "better reflect light and be easier to read." How about not worrying about the motorists (I can see the signs just fine) and give the kids some decent conditions in which to learn and help them learn to read?

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=22227813

Since I'm in a decidedly apocalyptic mood, I'm taking notes for the next chapter of Someday I'm Going to Write a Book, and immersed myself in writing fiction. My novel, The Widow's Walk, a paranormal romance set in a haunted house in Cape Cod is nearly finished. It's a sequel to Unfinished Business, continuing the story of Liz and Mike, a young widow and widower who fall in love, then discover they've been down this road before, and must battle the ghosts who fear they'll make the same mistakes the second time around.

Next up, will be an urban fantasy series being kicked off by Boulevard of Bad Spells and Broken Dreams, set in the near-future Bronx engaged in an epic battle between dark and light magic, which has been waged since the late 1970s.

So now you see what I mean by the slogan that my first love is science fiction and fantasy because walking through walls is less painful than running into them.

Check out all my writing related news at http://caroleannmoleti.blogspot.com/ or follow me on or Twitter or my new Facebook Fan Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment